Undergraduate students can spend their fall or spring semester immersed in London's art scene with Sotheby's Institute of Art, while receiving credit from one of the UK's leading universities.
Find Your Program:
Choose from one of the following full-time programs:
- Art of Luxury—Get an in-depth introduction to the fast-changing global industry of luxury goods and services.
- Art and Business—Understand the functioning of the international art world and explore the history of art at major art collections in London.
- Internship Program—Learn about the international art world while undertaking an internship in a London-based visual arts company or organization.
- Art Museums, Galleries, and Curating—Explore the world of art museums and galleries through insider visits and meetings with curators. Includes a field trip to Amsterdam.
- Asian Art and its Markets—Investigate the arts of this vast region and gain expertise in the global market for historic and contemporary Asian art. Includes a field trip to Brussels and Paris.
- Decorative Art and Design—Examine the splendors of French, British, and European decorative art from the seventeenth century to today with visits to the treasures of this major tradition. Includes a field trip to Vienna.
- Foundations of Western Art—Journey through art history from ancient Greece to today. Includes a field trip to Rome.
When you spend a semester studying with us in London, you don’t just study. You get an immersive experience of the art world through visits to auction houses, museums, art fairs, galleries, private collections, and working spaces in this cosmopolitan city.
Make London Your Artistic Playground:
Explore the art world in London, one of the great global cultural capitals. The Sotheby’s Institute of Art program offers a unique opportunity to add a professional edge to your degree by combining academic study with a direct experience of the art world. You will have full access to the rich cultural resources London offers while learning how art is collected, curated, displayed, bought, and sold. Experiential aspects of the curriculum include travel to major art fairs, exhibitions, museums, galleries, and collections, as well as an added option of a London-based art world internship. You will join students from all over the world and from a wide variety of backgrounds in a rich and dynamic learning environment. The program is open to all majors.
Found in the heart of Bloomsbury, the London campus is at the center of one of the world’s most important art capitals. The Institute is situated in Bedford Square, built between 1775 and 1783, and one of the best-preserved Georgian squares with a private central garden; the University of London and the British Museum are in the neighboring square. Sotheby’s auction house, the National Gallery, the National Portrait Gallery, and the Royal Academy of Arts are a few minutes’ walk away. The Institute is also close to Mayfair, the traditional center of the London art market, where many dealers and galleries are located.
What is it like to study abroad for a semester at Sotheby’s Institute of Art? “An incredible range of ages, cultural backgrounds, and professional experiences made each day fresh and interesting” Read a student’s account.
Student Support and Welfare:
Sotheby's Institute of Art is committed to providing a safe and welcoming environment for its students. Our Student Support team aims to promote and foster your wider personal development while you are a student. We offer a range of friendly and discreet signposting services: from accessing National Health Service health care to safety, health, and well-being tips and materials. You can book a 1:1 time slot where you can meet with one of our counselors in a private setting to discuss any of the above. Our in-house counseling service offers qualified, confidential support to students experiencing the challenges of studying and living abroad. Click here to learn more.
There is a wide range of housing options located near The Institute. Sotheby's Institute of Art works closely with the University of London Housing Services (ULHS). The ULHS offer an online database of accommodation provided by registered landlords and letting agents. These include apartments and houses for groups as well as rooms in shared apartments and houses. ULHS aim to ensure that all landlords are reputable and require them to sign up to a code of good practice. They also have offers of short term accommodation on their database and other information on short stay options on their website, which include accommodation with host families, private halls of residences, hostels, and hotels.
Studying Abroad and Your Degree
Learn about undergraduate credit, tuition fees, and scholarships.
Fees and Scholarships:
- Fees for Semester programs, click here.
- Scholarship for Semester programs: The James Malpas Scholarship, click here.
Our 15-week Semester programs are validated by The University of Manchester, one of the UK’s leading universities. Students who complete the program successfully will gain 60 University of Manchester undergraduate credits, which generally translate to 16 undergraduate credits in the US system. Please consult with your study abroad advisor about transferring credit from Sotheby’s Institute of Art to your home institution.
Recent Study Abroad Students Have Come From the Following Universities:
American University, The School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Bard’s College at Simon’s Rock, Bennington College, Bentley University, Boston College, Brigham Young University, Brown University, Bryn Mawr College, University of California, California State University, Cornell University, DePaul University, Duke University, Fordham University, Georgetown University, Golden Gate University, Harvard College, University of Minnesota, Mount Holyoke College, University of North Carolina, Northeastern University, Northwestern University, University of San Francisco, Seattle University, Smith College, Temple University, University of Texas, University of Virginia, and many more.