Learn the fundamentals of painting and drawing techniques and practice new skills in an exciting online studio environment designed to inspire creativity and teach you—as a beginning artist—how to express yourself through artistic practices.
Students enrolled in this online Studio course will balance a variety of expert-led live sessions with self-guided practice to build new artistic skills in an exciting and dynamic virtual setting. Taught by practicing contemporary artists and with guest appearances by leaders in the contemporary art world, this Studio course provides beginning students with the guidance, techniques, and support to encourage them to find and develop their own creative vision. In this course, students will learn basic drawing techniques through a hands-on, multifaceted approach that motivates them to learn new skills as well as deepen their knowledge of visual communication.
This course is ideal for students who are creatively inclined and searching for a supportive and instructional environment to help them develop their drawing and painting talents. This program is geared towards students eager to discover their passions, try something new and prepare for college. From hands-on studio sessions to virtual site visits, with online activities led by expert practitioners, the Studio program is curated to give students a newfound sense of direction for their future studies.
Students will be provided with a list of materials they should purchase before the start of the course.
Virtual site visits may include:
- The drawing collection of The Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Interactive virtual exhibitions at the Tate Modern in London
- Online viewing rooms of top international galleries, such as David Zwirner and
- White Cube
- Artists’ studios
Guest speakers may include:
- Contemporary art gallerists
- Contemporary art curators
Projects may include:
- Learning a series of foundational drawing techniques practiced under self-guided studio time, with individualized feedback given by the instructor on the student’s work
- Practicing a chromatic exercise to understand color theory and the ways complimentary colors can be used to create innovative visual effects
- Starting a sketchbook diary to experiment with different media and techniques
Tech Fee: $75
Please note: This information is subject to change at any time at the discretion of Sotheby’s Institute of Art.