In response to the social, economic, political and sexual ferment of the modern era, the international art scene has been in a constant state of flux since the 1960s. This course introduces participants to the major personalities and trends operating within the fields of painting, sculpture, photography, performance, video and digital art, with particular attention paid to pioneering movements and groups such as Pop, Minimalism, Appropriation and the YBAs.
Suitable for beginners as well as those with prior knowledge looking to deepen their understanding and appreciation. Minimum age 18.
This course includes:
- Eight-week term, with a half-term break during the course;
- Two expert lectures with time for questions and discussions each week;
- One or more expert-led visits to London-based collections;
- An artist's talk and/or visits to artists' studios;
- Learning in the Institute's historic Georgian townhouse campus at the heart of Bloomsbury;
- Certificate of participation upon completion of the course.