Terms and Conditions of Enrollment
Enrollment is complete only when Sotheby’s Institute of Art - London has received the required course fee within the specified deadline. Payment of the fee is regarded as acceptance of the Institute’s Terms and Conditions of Enrollment in their entirety. The Institute reserves the right to ask a student to withdraw from a course at any time should any part of the fee remain unpaid.
Course fees cover all lectures, seminars, practical sessions and out-of-London study trips.
All other accommodation costs and personal expenses are not included in the fee and are the responsibility of the student.
Sotheby’s Institute of Art reserves the right to cancel any course in which the number of students enrolled is deemed insufficient. All tuition and course fees paid only for such a course will be refunded. If you wish to withdraw up to 6 weeks in advance of a course you will be eligible for 100% refund less 15% administration fee (up to £150). Cancellations less than 6 weeks but up to 4 weeks in advance will incur a 15% administration fee (up to £150) and the balance of the course fee will be applicable to a Sotheby’s Institute Public Programs or Summer Study course within one year. For any cancellations within 4 weeks of the course, no refunds will be made. Should a participant miss a session, it is not possible to replace it with a future session on another course.
If you wish to defer your enrolment offer to the next academic year you must officially request a deferral by email to the Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. All tuition and fees paid will then transfer to the next academic year. After this one year, the Institute will no longer hold a place for you (and you will need to re-apply should you wish to attend the Institute). In such event, the Institute will retain all funds that you paid. Please note that you will have to pay any increase in tuition fees for the year in which you will join the program.
Failure to complete a course does not constitute official withdrawal, nor does notification to the instructor, nor does lack of attendance, nor does dissatisfaction with a course.
Visas for students on four-week courses
Students from outside the European Community are responsible for ensuring that they have the appropriate visa to enable them to study in the UK. Students with visas that do not permit them to study will be refused entry to the course. If students are unable to obtain a Short Term Study Visa and have documentary evidence to show this, they can apply in writing to the Admissions Committee to be considered for a refund of tuition fees already paid. Refunds are made payable to the originator and the originator’s bank account using the same method of initial payment.
Whilst every effort is made to ensure that each course runs according to plan, Sotheby’s Institute of Art reserves the right to change, alter or cancel advertised courses as a result of circumstances beyond its control. Other than refunding your fees, the Institute accepts no liability for expenses or losses you or any third party may incur as a result of a program’s cancellation.
Requirements for completion of four-week courses
- Students who are taking a course for credit from The University of Manchester are expected to complete assignments and must achieve a mark of at least 40% in order to pass the course and receive a transcript and certificate.
- It will not be possible for students that elect to take the course for credit to change to auditor status once the course has begun.
- Students who take the course as an auditor are required to have an attendance record of at least 80% in order to receive an auditor’s certificate.
Acceptance of this offer of admission presumes an agreement to abide by the policies and procedures of the Institute. In particular, please note the following:
- Unless otherwise stated, attendance at all classes/visits on a given course is mandatory except in exceptional circumstances.
- The Institute reserves the right to bar students arriving late from classes and visits.
- The use of mobile phones or other handheld devices in class is strictly prohibited.
- The Institute requires its students to behave professionally and courteously to Institute staff, faculty and fellow students at all times.