Career Services at Sotheby's Institute of Art
In London and New York
Sotheby’s Institute of Art is dedicated to the career development of its students. The expertise of our academic faculty, lecturers, extensive alumni and art world network enables us to provide, job seeking skills and extensive preparation for a successful career in the art world.
Find out more:
» Career Services Available
» Prospective Students
» Talent Database
» Careers Support Sessions
» Current Students
» Frequently Asked Questions
» Alumni Association
Click here to meet our careers directors in London and New York.
Career Services available to students:
- Each year a select group of students enrolled full-time are offered an interview with Sotheby’s Auction House Staff
- Online internship and job bulletin service. Over 1000 art world employers registered on our jobs database, many of whom regularly recruit from our student and graduate talent.
- Resumé templates, cover letters and other tools tailored for the international art world available to download
- Recent career talks have been given by Directors and senior staff at: Phillips Oppenheim, Sotheby’s, AXA-Art Insurance, The Guggenheim, Fitz and Co. James Cohan Gallery, Citibank Art Advisors and Wright Auctions, Whitechapel Gallery, The Art Newspaper, the National Portrait Gallery and The Royal Collection. A series of Career Conversations have also covered Running an Art Gallery, Art Consultancy, Arts Marketing, Arts Funding and Online Entrepreneurship. Alumni panels offer students a chance to ask recent graduates about how to secure, make the most and move on from internship opportunities
- Resumé building and interview technique workshops are conducted by fine arts recruitment specialists whilst students are introduced to and encouraged to join relevant professional networking organisations
Sotheby’s Institute of Art encourages students to participate in internships and notifies students of opportunities at Sotheby’s worldwide, international auction houses, galleries, museums, arts publications and other international arts-related organizations.
Sotheby’s Institute students are given the option of applying for highly sought after paid and unpaid positions at Sotheby’s auction house in New York, London and other Sotheby’s worldwide offices. We work closely with the auction house to market our student talents and to help meet their recruitment needs. Our graduates have the opportunity to apply for positions through internal postings before they are posted for the public. Sotheby’s reviews our students resumes and conducts interviews. Whilst places are competitive, students are encouraged to apply for internships in London or floater roles in New York.
Prospective students often inquire about career paths and job opportunities available upon graduation. Having access to internships and jobs is essential for a successful career in the international art world. At Sotheby’s Institute we have the resources to help you consider the wealth of career options open to you, market yourself effectively for the art world, network and find jobs and internships that will be a good fit for your talents. Click here
to learn more about alumni careers, including recent employment statistics and job titles of graduates.
The Institute’s talent database records individual student skills and talents, experience and career aspirations. This enables Career Services to find good fits for both student and employers.
Career Services welcomes contact from employers seeking student or alumni talent for internships and jobs. Employers are also welcome to contact our office about opportunities to participate in panel discussions, career development workshops, and other educational opportunities for our students and graduates. Click here
for information on how to post internships and jobs.
Careers Support Sessions
One to one and small group sessions with the Director of Career Services to discuss career options, gain information about industry trends and relevant job search techniques, seek contacts or gain advice on applications and interviews.
Current Students Click here
if you are looking for a job or internship, resume assistance, information about upcoming events including internship fairs and career days, or if you would like to schedule an appointment.
Frequently Asked Questions
Career Services offers a multitude of resources and services that give students and alumni a competitive edge. Click here
to view frequently asked questions about studying at Sotheby’s Institute of Art.
Studying at Sotheby’s Institute of Art means that you automatically become part of an ever expanding network of top art world professionals.
Former students remain connected to the Institute through their passion and involvement in the arts in a professional capacity. With our online services alumni are able to seek employment and recruit through Sotheby’s Institute of Art. Alumni also contribute by hosting careers talks and providing advice as career mentors.
For more information on the services offered to alumni click here